Friday, September 19, 2008

Why marginalize Seventh Generation?

Okay -- I didn't get this. I was in Target yesterday and was looking for Seventh Generation laundry detergent. Two weeks ago it was in the same aisle and shelving area as Tide and all the other major brands. Today it had disappeared. I asked where it went. It had been moved two aisles down into a "healthy living" section. This really ticked me off!

To me it reeked of marginalizing a brand which was selling hot off the shelf (you could tell how much more it was selling by the lack of its inventory compared to the other regular detergents on the shelf). By moving that brand to a corner aisle it was hard to find and appeared to not be on par with the other more well-known brands. This stunk. I've e-mailed Target. We'll see what they say. My point is that if eco is going to be mainstream, you've got to treat it that way and give it equal attention so that the average consumer will take notice. We'll see ...

UPDATE 8:27 AM: I sent the e-mail to Target late last night -- 10:30 PM Pacific. By 8:08 AM Pacific Time this morning I've got a response. Here it is ...

Dear Terra Wellington,

I'm sorry your recent trip to our Target store didn't meet your expectations.

We're always looking for ways to improve your shopping experience. Hearing about the Seventh Generation products were moved down to two aisles down in the section, is important to us. I've documented your thoughts and comments, which will be shared with our Store Operations team for further review. It's just one way we can keep working to provide you with the experience you've come to expect at Target ... (generic stuff about talking to an employee if you have a problem) ...

... We appreciate your feedback because it helps make Target even better.

Sincerely,
Jason
Target Guest Relations
www.target.com

No comments: