Thursday, April 30, 2009

Shopping for Greener Tissue Products - Part 2 - Final

I wrote up a post last week about choosing green tissue products and why it is better to do so for the planet and your health. I pointed you toward the main things to look for on the packaging and Greenpeace's tissue guide.


In this second part of that article, I tackle the problem of actually finding greener tissue products near your home.


I went to Target this past week to try to find any green tissue products. I found none. A complete bummer. They have lots of other types of greener products, but absolutely NO tissue products that I could find that would qualify as having recycled materials and no chlorine. One can hope they will have greener options soon.


I ran over to CVS Pharmacy, which is in many areas of the U.S. and easily found its own brand of green tissue products -- the CVS Pharmacy brand "Earth Essentials" bathroom tissue, paper towels, and napkins. Each of these products was reasonably priced and had 100% recycled content, 60% post-consumer content, and "recycled without chlorine bleaching." Fabulous.


I'm sure that if I went to Whole Foods, I could have found many more options. But I didn't want to drive into another local city for that (more of my time and gas) only to pay a premium price.


When it comes to grocery stores, next time I'm in my local Kroger store (Ralphs) or a Safeway store (Vons) I'll check and see what they have too; I bet you they probably have private-label green tissue products like CVS.


I don't live near a Wal-Mart, otherwise that would be another place to check.


But in looking over the Greenpeace brand list of best choices, Trader Joe's is listed and that isn't too far ... it's on my way to a number of other errands I run every once and a while. So I could check out the prices and products there for tissue products.


As far as the other brands, the most frustrating part is lack of neighborhood availability. You might be able to find some of these by ordering via the web, but who wants to order their toilet paper from the Internet? Here's the rundown --
  • Green Forest, April Soft, Fiesta and Fiesta Green, Marcal Small Steps, Atlantic, Earth First -- do not list any retailers on their websites, so this makes it difficult to figure out where to get their products

  • 365 -- this is actually a Whole Foods private label brand, so you're only going to find it at Whole Foods

  • Earth Friendly, Natural Value -- I have no idea where to find these brands because there is no website that pops up in the first 3 pages of a Google search

  • Seventh Generation -- makes it easy for me. I can go to this link on their website and type in my zip code. It says I can find Seventh Generation at my Kroger grocery store (Ralphs), plus many other places nearby.

  • Trader Joe's -- just find a Trader Joe's near you.

  • CVS Earth Essentials -- find a CVS store near you.

  • Cascades -- seems to be available only in Canada. See here where to find it.

Notice how currently there are no major name brands on the "buy" list. Bounty, Puffs, Kleenex, Scott, Charmin, Angel Soft, Brawny, Mardi Gras, Velvet, and both the private brands of Target and Wal-Mart ALL USE CLORINE in their products and nearly NONE USE RECYCLED materials.

Put your money where it counts. Choose healthier products.


Shopping for Greener Tissue Products - Part 1




No comments: