Sunday, April 19, 2009

Where in the World is Terra? -- Traveling for her book, Travelogue 6

I visited Nashville during my travels for my new book this week and loved it. It is such a pleasant city with courteous people. The hosts on "Tennessee Mornings" were fabulous. Thank you Charlie and Kelly! We pre-taped a segment for April 22nd's Earth Day show -- watch it Wednesday! Charlie and Kelly were very interested in going green and asked good questions.

After taping in Nashville, I headed off to, Chicago -- my home town. I grew up in the Northern Suburbs. I really liked how the recycling bins in Chicago's O'Hare Airport were so standardized and front and center so you couldn't miss them if you tried. I would say that about two thirds of the airports I've been to on this trip have some recycling going on. The city's food offerings also seem more into fresh food than other cities I've visited -- yes there's meat, but not as much front and center everywhere.

My hotel in Chicago was the greenest of my entire book tour! It was part of the Green Hotels Association, which is an excellent resource for you in looking for greener accommodations. The Association is a voluntary, opt-in, paid-membership program for these businesses. The hotel was also part of Project Planet, a linens and towel reuse program; most hotels I've been in already do this on their own without promoting the Project Planet program. I was easily able to recycle my paper waste in this hotel -- down in the lobby; though in-room recycling would still have been easier. One thing I REALLY, REALLY liked was the fact that the hotel used classy Essentiel Elements personal care products in nice dispensers (like shampoo, conditioner, body wash, lotion, and hand soap) -- none of the awful waste of single-use toiletries in many 4- and 5-star hotels.

The U. S. Travel Data Center estimates that 43 million US travelers are "ecologically concerned." Here's a list from the Green Hotels Association of what would be the ideal green hotel room. I wish the large hotel chains would follow this list -- would show more excellence and taste.

You can watch my Chicago WGN "Midday Fix" segment here.

After Chicago, I got caught in an awful Midwest storm that put off my trip to Sacramento until April 10, in which I was on KQCA My 58.

Up next, Orlando!

No comments: