Monday, May 4, 2009

How to Get Your Kids to Go Eco

I've seen a number of reviews about my book, The Mom's Guide to Growing Your Family Green: Saving the Earth Begins at Home in which parents have found the book very helpful in understanding how to go green, the many eco options available, and hard-to-find detailed info. But one question that is often posed to me is "How can I get my child to be more eco friendly?"


Wouldn't it be great if there were a silver bullet answer to this? The best answer to this question is actually relatively simple ... you do it by 1) example and 2) creating an eco friendly lifestyle in your home.


Kids will be kids. They have their own mind, just like you do. And this mind becomes more their own as they grow up. If you've created an environmentally conscious lifestyle at home throughout several years and have led by example, then what happens is that kids remember this example and lifestyle as they get older. They may stray here and there through their teen and young adult years, but if you've done your job early on then the chances of kids taking all or at least some of what they grew up with into their own lives is very high.


This is why I framed my book "Saving the Earth Begins at Home" because tomorrow's generation starts at ground zero -- your home ... whether it is an apartment or actual house does not matter. It is the four walls of your everyday existence with a parent raising a child.


Additionally, oftentimes I'm asked "What are special eco friendly activities you can do with your child?" Again, I nearly always reinforce the lifestyle approach. Going eco is not like going on a diet. However, I would stress that the best activities you could do would be nature oriented, whether a backyard or patio garden, some play at the park, a school garden, or a day trip to a local natural history museum or aquarium. In my book I give MANY more ideas in detail.

No comments: